Ladder stitch (invisible stitch)
After stuffing the doll, we will ladder stitch the opening to close it up. The thread is invisible from the outside.
Here are a diagram and steps showing how to hand embroider the back stitches:
1. Insert the needle from the inside of the fabric to the outside of the fabric on the fold line (see position 1).
2. Insert the needle from position 2 to 3 and pull.
3. Insert the needle to position 4 and 5 and pull.
4. Continue stitching until reaching the other end of the opening.
5. Tie a knot at the end of the opening.
6. Insert the needle into the seam so the knot is hidden inside of the seam and pull the needle out elsewhere (see image below).
7. Pull the needle/thread away from the fabric, push down the fabric and cut the thread as close to the fabric as possible. The excess thread will spring back into the fabric.